The Canadian Living Magazine
Issue April 2017
What to eat for better sleep:
- Tart Cherry Juice: This is a natural source of melatonin, which aids in regulating the sleep cycle.
- Ricotta Cheese: Full of whey, it lowers cortisol and can help send you off to dreamland
- Watercress: This peppery green is rich in iodine and supports a healthy thyroid, providing energy during the day and improving mood for a more restful sleep.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Packed with tiny but mighty tryptophan, they're calming and promote relaxation and sleepiness.
What to eat for weight loss:
- Scallops + Shrimp: These shellfish offer a good dose of protein, which can curb appetite. They also have lots of iodine, which boots thyroid functions.
- Homemade Ice Tea: Forget the sugary version; brew a combo of green and lemon-ginger tea bag that's brimming with antioxidants - minus the empty calories.
- Asian Pear: With a whopping 10 grams of fiber per pear, this fruit takes time to digest, so you'll feel full longer. And it boots the same hormone that causes fat loss when you exercise.
- Seeds: A combo of chia seeds, shelled hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds - packed with protein, fiber and essential fatty acids - help keep you satiated.
What to eat for an energy boost:
- Fennel: Antioxidant-rich and a source of folate, this veg can help prevent fatigue by warding off anemia.
Arugula: This strong-flavored green is high in fiber and helps stabilize blood sugar, which keeps you alert.
- Avocado: Bursting with heart-healthy fats that may keep energy steady, it aids in warding off low blood sugar.
- Asparagus: It's full of vitamins A and C that can build new oxygen-carrying red blood cells.
What to eat for Shiny hair + Radiant skin:
- Rhubarb: This rosy plant is a great source of lutein, the antioxidant that safeguards skin.
- Raw Nuts: Almonds and walnuts are excellent plant-based sources of protein, an essential building block for hair.
- Dandelion Greens: Rich in vitamins A, C and K, these bitter greens stimulate digestion and are a great power washer for the kidneys. (Proper digestion can help break down the nutrients that can contribute to healthy skin and hair.)
Just a brilliant way to freshen up your diet is by adding one "green" at a time. Grace Toby collaborated with a team of experts for advise on the perfect overall health and succeeded with great simplicity.
Grab the April 2017 issue for more tips or visit their website listed below for more amazing features.